Workforce and Organisational Development
LGYH supports councils on the employment agenda through the following:
- Provision of expert advice, information and training to council HR departments on HR good practice and employment law
- Advice on interpretation and application of the national agreements for local government staff. Further information on national agreements
- Provision of research and information services including co-ordination of national surveys. Find out more about current surveys
- Regional Pay and Workforce Strategy development and implementation including development of a regional workforce plan
- With the trade unions providing the Regional Joint Machinery for resolving local disputes and maintaining good employee relations
- Coordination and facilitation of the regional HR/OD Leadership Group and sub groups to support joint working, sharing of best practice and regional HR/OD function development and improvement, and delivery of the Regional Pay and Workforce Strategy.
- Producing regional responses to government consultations and national pay negotiations and lobbying on behalf of the region on employment issues
- HR and OD consultancy support e.g. restructures, pay reviews and policy development
- Promoting employment best practice to support local government improvement
- Promoting and supporting elected member development
- Technical advice / support for Chief Executive recruitment and appraisals
- Co-ordination of the regional HR development programme and Northern Region HR conference
- Regional co-ordination on equal pay issues
LGYH also provides employment advisory, information, training and consultancy services to a range of non local authority subscriber organisations in the region. For further details about subscribing to our services contact us.
What are the Key Work Areas?
LGYH promotes and supports elected member development through a range of different activities, including, Post Graduate certificate, Charter/Charter Plus, Mentoring, Conferences and learning events
LGYH is leading on supporting the scrutiny function in the region through the development of a Scrutiny Network for Members and one for Officers.
The Workforce and OD Team support a number of networks to engage with local authorities and encourage collaborative working.
The HR/OD Leadership Group
This group of HR Directors from councils in the region leads on collaborative and development HR/OD activity at the regional and oversees the activities of the other HR/OD networks in the region. LGYH supports and co-ordinates the network and identifies connections between wider activity and the HR/OD activity.
Pay and Reward
The HR Directors commissioned HayGroup to undertake research on total reward practice as a pre-amble to a regional workshop which agreed priorities for future action on total reward statements, procurement of employee benefits, development of reward strategy and communication/engagement with employees on reward.
The other key area of reward activity is around equal pay and pay reviews which a number of Councils in the region still have to complete and which remain a considerable challenge for those Councils.
LGYH successfully bid for Regional Improvement and Efficiency Programme (RIEP) funding to appoint two Apprenticeship Managers for 12 months. The Apprenticeship Managers will work across the region with Council’s, Fire and Police Services and the National Apprenticeship Service to develop apprenticeship provision and establish effective and robust networks in order to promote the sharing of knowledge, experience and good practice.
LGYH supports the following networks
- The Changing Workforce Network (and sub-groups; Employee Engagement Network and Equality and Diversity Network)
- Skills Network
- OD and Leadership
- Regional Health and Safety Officers Network
- PPMA (Public Sector People Managers Association)
Other work areas
LGYH provide an effective, high quality employment advice subscriber service to non local authority organisations in the region who employ staff on NJC terms and conditions.
Joint Secretary Role
LGYH is the Regional Employers' Organisation and therefore organises and supports the regional Employers' Committee of elected members and provides the employers' side secretariat for the Regional Joint Council with the trade unions.
Collaborative events with other Regions
The Workforce and OD Team organise a number of key annual events and conferences working cross regionally with the North East and North West.
Service Transformation in the North - In June 2014, NLGN and its partners convened a workshop to discuss how councils in the North were integrating and transforming their public services. This paper summarises the discussion. More information here.
APPG Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire report following the session on the bioeconomy is now online, along with the APPG letter sent to Lord DeMauley following the meeting . More information here.
Yorkshire and Humber Local Authorities have submitted a joint letter to the DfT Rail Franchising consultation . More information here.
The APPG Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire report following the session on local transport investment and growth is now available. More information here.